Saturday, September 11, 2010

Comfort



May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to your promise to your servant.  Psalm 119:76


For the past few days, it seems that the only place where my son can find comfort is in my arms.  This afternoon, he was in his cradle, wailing as loud as his little lungs would allow, trying desperately to get comfortable so he could fall asleep.  I walked into the bedroom, scooped him up in my arms, and he instantaneously relaxed, stopped crying and got comfortable enough to fall asleep.  (I'm sure the parenting books would have scolded me for it.)  

The comfort that he finds in my arms reminds me of that which I should find in my Father's arms.  So often, I get frustrated with this world. I'm tempted to wail as loud as my lungs will allow, angry and upset about the things that aren't right.   Left to my own self, I'm sure I would continue to wail until I either grew hoarse or exhausted.  Sometimes I refuse the arms that would comfort me, reasoning that they must not know what they're doing or that they aren't the right fit for me.  Praise God that He continually offers to come in to where I am, pick me up and hold me close, enabling me to calm down and find comfort in His embrace. 

As our nation stands upon a day in which we remember awful tragedies and look back and forward along our road of recovery, I pray that we would not reject the One who loves us and is reaching out to us to comfort us and draw us close to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment