Sunday, December 11, 2011

Mine

Don't love the world or anything that belongs to the world. If you love the world, you cannot love the Father.  1 John 2:15



I read this verse last night, and it hit me between the eyes.  I tend to be an anti-materialism person (I think I'm one of a handful of people who dislike Costco), but at Christmastime, it is so easy to get pulled into the swirl of stuff.  Everywhere I look, there are presents looking back at me: I could give that as a Secret Santa gift... maybe my godson would have fun with that... I can't wait to see Dave's face when I give him that. It's fun to plan and plot and shop and wrap and give, but too often, it becomes my focus at this time of year.


Noah has begun to realize the concept of "possession." He'll point to his coat and then to my coat, and over and over again. He'll point to his shoes and then my shoes. Repeat.  He'll point to his food and then my food. Repeat.  I think he loves to hear that one thing is associated with his name, and the other is associated with Mommy's (or Daddy's) name. If he knew the sign for "mine," I'm pretty sure he'd be using it by now.


How do I teach this little guy that the stuff he can hold is not really worth his grip?  How can I show him that love for God is so much better than love for the things that make him say, "oooOOOoooo"? I know in my heart that I must first learn the lesson for myself before I can think about passing it on to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment